Sunday, May 22, 2011

Projects for Green

During our Green Unit in our GT Seminar II class we came upon an interesting lifestyle called, "The 100 Thing Challenge".  This lifestyle is where you are only allowed to have a 100 things.  When I first heard this, I thought, "Psh! I probably already have that much!"  We were then asked to make a list of the things we needed for our life, I came up with 52.  Ms. Mystrena, our teacher, then asked us to make a list.    After learning this our homework was to go home and count everything we had (clothes, toys, games, books, sports equipment, etc.)  That night I was suprised at the amount.  When sharing in class our results, I was embarassed... 400 things!  That is such a large number compared to my list.

Shortly after we finished with that subject we went onto a "Mapping the Impact" project.  With this project, Ronak and I chose an I-Phone 3GS to traced all the resources and process it took to make that product.  It took so many resources from so many places in the world to make the I-Phone.  They must be depleting the environment they extracted it from.  Also the transportation and production also pollute the world.  It is amazing how it came to be made, but sad to see all the damage done.  And to think Apple keeps making new ones and people throw out their old devices.  What a shame!

Another interesting thing we did was take an online ecological footprint test.   If everyone lived my lifestyle we would need about 8 Earths.  It felt like a scumbag comparing them to everyone else's test.  However I have a farm so hopefully I am still not as bad as a person, I still am bad though.  I liked this test a lot, it left an impact on me.  I am going to alter my lifestyle to be more green, then retake it in the future and see if I have gotten better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment